GLAMBOX together with TAMSA are inviting all Glam readers to join us in raising awareness for World Cancer Day!!
WORLD CANCER DAY- 4TH FEBRUARY 2013.
LEARN THE FACTS!
Cancer as a disease is associated with a lot of myths and beliefs. This year the Tanzanian Medical Students Association of Tanzania (TAMSA) wants you to learn the facts.
Myth # 1
Cancer is just a health issue.
Cancer is not just a health issue, it has wide reaching social, economic, developmental, and human rights implication.
Cancer is a disease of the wealthy, elderly and developed countries.
Cancer is a global epidemic; it affects all ages and socio-economic groups, with developing countries bearing a disproportionate burden.
Cancer is a death sentence.
Many cancers that were once considered a death sentence can now be cured and treated effectively.
Cancer is my fate.
With the right strategies, a third of the most common cancers can be prevented.
CANCER FACTS FOR CANCER AWARENESS.
Did you know…?
· Cancer is responsible for about 43% of deaths among women in Tanzania?
· In Tanzania, about 32% of cancer deaths are in people less than 60 years of age?
· Lung cancer caused by cigarrete smoking is the most common cancer worldwide followed by breast cancer?
· Cervical cancer is the leading type of cancer in women in Tanzania and that the virus that causes it is sexually transmitted?
· That most cancers are curable if caught early by routine screening and examinations?
· Patients whose cancers are curable in the developed world unnecessarily suffer and die due to a lack of awareness, resources and access to affordable, effective and quality cancer services that enable early diagnosis and appropriate treatment and care.?
· Increasing public and political awareness that solutions exist and can be implemented and integrated in all resource settings is essential to achieving equity in cancer prevention and care?
Prepared by TAMSA-Hubert Kairuki Memorial University 2013